Medisure March eBulletin
Welcome to our March eBulletin.
In this edition, we’re going to discuss:
• Meet the Team: Belinda Kelly
• Medisure’s Healthcare Establishments Policy
• Visit us at this year’s Steadfast Conference in Brisbane!
• Medisure Claims Management – Case study
Meet the Team – Belinda Kelly
Following on from last month where you learned more about our Manager and Senior Underwriter, Rhys Thomas, this month we are pleased to introduce you to our Senior Underwriter, Belinda Kelly.
Belinda joined Medisure Indemnity Australia in May 2012, leaving behind a career in Sales Management for the challenges and rewards of the Insurance industry. After starting in the Marketing team, Belinda soon obtained her Diploma of Financial Services and commenced her role within the team as an Assistant Underwriter.
Immediately making her mark as a high achieving Insurance professional, Belinda soon saw recognition from the greater Insurance community, taking out the prestigious Young ANZIIF Insurance and Professional Achievement Award (Insurance Law and Regulation) at the 2014 Steadfast Convention.
When Belinda isn’t discussing policies and coverage with her clients, you’ll either find her Volunteering at her local Animal Welfare League shelter, swinging a hammer while she’s renovating her property or in the kitchen making her favourite dish – Eggs Woodhouse.
The Medisure Healthcare Establishments Policy
Because Medisure is a specialist underwriter in the Healthcare and Community sectors, we pride ourselves on having the broadest product offerings that are suited to each of your clients specific operational needs.
With existing, highly successful Medical industry policies covering Non-Procedural General Practice risks, and conversely, Day Surgery Medical Malpractice risks, it was only logical for us to create a policy that covers the space between the Non-Procedural and Surgical Procedural risks.
To broaden our offering and assist brokers with other clients in the Healthcare space, we have now released a policy that addresses coverage specifically designed for Allied Health & Specialist Medical clinics.
Our appetite in this space is extremely broad, allowing us to offer a product for “Everything Medical”.
With automatic inclusions such as Fidelity, Public Relation Expenses and Statutory Liability, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better policy for your Healthcare industry clients. To find out more, click here.
Just remember: if it’s Medical, think Medisure!
If you have these organisations as your clients, please do not hesitate to contact
Belinda or Rhys today on 07 3426 0440.
Steadfast Conference 2016
This year, the Steadfast Conference is being held in Brisbane, and we’re excited to have the opportunity to meet everyone here in our home city!
At our stands, you’ll find our team of expert staff and Underwriters, fantastic giveaways AND a terrific competition – more than enough reasons for you to make a beeline for Stands 82 & 87 to say hello!
We’ve included a map of our location for you too, just click here!
Claims – why it’s best to leave it to the experts.
One of our clients recently found themselves in the unfortunate position of being called before the
Anti-Discrimination Commission after an aggrieved former-employee made an allegation against them and their business practices.
1. A third party made a complaint to the Anti-Discrimination Commission regarding their dismissal.
2. The third party engaged their personal solicitor to assist with the complaint.
3. The third party’s solicitor failed to properly acknowledge the seriousness and validity of the claim.
4. The insured was summonsed to appear before the Anti-Discrimination Commission, leading to them contacting Medisure Indemnity Australia.
How did we handle it?
1. Medisure liaised with both the insured and the insurer and quickly had a panel lawyer appointed who worked closely with the third party’s solicitor to have the case resolved without the need for judicial involvement.
2. The panel lawyer was able to negotiate a small settlement to the third party of only $4,000.
3. Legal fees for the panel lawyer totalled $17,000.
4. The policy responded to the claim, and the insurer covered both the amounts of $4,000 and $17,000, with the insured being responsible only for their $250 excess.
The end result:
Our client was spared the stress and time of managing this incident on their own, as well as tens of thousands in actual costs incurred. Without the skills and knowledge of the insurer’s expert panel lawyer and the knowledge and expertise of the Medisure Claims team, this scenario typically would have resulted in higher legal fees, a much greater settlement or even worse: a more unfavourable judicial decision.
Medisure’s Claims team are here to help our clients when these unfortunate events arise.
Call us on 07 3426 0440 for more information, or click here to visit our website.